Thursday, 16 December 2010

Twitter

I don’t know how we are going to implement any of these technologies into our libraries with the internet connection as bad as it is out here @Ell.

Here’s an example:
Wrote my day 2 tweet
“Day 2 of tweeting for #WAWeb20 and it's lunch time and the internet is marginally faster than yesterday.”

Clicked TWEET.

Went to the tea room, made a sandwich, toasted it, came back to my desk AND THE TWEET WAS STILL UPLOADING.

Replaced “marginally faster” with “slower” and hit TWEET. Went and made a cup of tea and washed my plate.

Got back to my desk and that one was still going.

You think I am joking? I AM NOT!!

It is crazy!!


So for implementing in our library, aside from internet drop out/speed issue, I think it could be a good communication tool either with other branches or with customers, or with other libraries and networking contacts.

I use twitter personally, to follow politicians, abcnews, and a couple of other people who interest me.

Now that all the library branches have wifi, maybe we need a couple of ipads per branch and we can tweet when we have lost phones or email!

5 comments:

  1. This was a very entertaining anecdote! And sad! Poor Kathryn. Silly Ellenbrook. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that your access to decent internet speeds impacts on your view of these technologies. My home service is pretty crap, and it does affect how useful I feel various internet sites/services are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this gave me a chuckle..Connection is definitely an issue when we are so reliant on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just goes to show that we, the libraries need technology/connection as good as what is available to our patrons. And we are at times providing them better than what we have for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it really amazes me the things that people twitter about may be we should all follow Shane Warne, he sounds like he has an interesting life.
    (NOT)

    ReplyDelete